mucho-danger

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I got my ass down A&E rapido!

I’ll start at the beginning. Note this is not for the squeamish. It was Sunday the 3rd September; I had just eaten a mountain of Sunday roast. A few hours later I was doubled up in pain, vomiting and sinking a few antacids and painkillers. Found a comfortable fetal position and got an early nights sleep. Sleep was a bit broken but managed to get up for work and head to Peterborough, not a quick journey from the South Coast. Propped myself in a comfortable position on the train and got some more sleep. Pain at this point was fairly mild and got through the working day. Stopped of to see a friend in St. Albans on the way home, the pain in my stomach was by now getting a bit worse. Held out all day, got home tired about midnight and slept off the burning agonizing pain in my chest. Woke up on the Tuesday 5th September still with a killing gut pain so went straight to the Doctors. Had an ECG, no heart problems, just a stomach acid problem. Got some tablets, was still in agony but hoped the tablets would work. The day went on, took a tablet had a little food; the pain by this time was near crippling. Then the vomiting of blood started. Now I’m no doctor but this struck me as being pretty abnormal so I got my ass down A&E rapido! Got seen in A&E straight away. I must admit that the A&E staff were a bit rubbish. I mean I was vomiting blood into one of those cardboard kidney dishes (filled five!) and the Doc was asking me whether this was normal! In the meantime I was in agony, asking for some pain relief and was given a couple of Paracetamol, which didn’t stay down. Must have been there a few hours, waiting for blood test results I think? Then I was discharged to a Medical Assessment Ward for the night. Luckily here I was put on some fluids given some pain relief that worked and managed to get a bit of sleep. Later the next day I was poked and prodded by a few doctors and surgeons who told me I would need surgery! I was then transferred to a Surgical Ward.

For the continuing story, link here...

I got my ass down A&E rapido...and now I own a pair of Pyjamas and Slippers!

Things get really messy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

God that sounds horrendous, 5? you're not serious about someone asking you if it was normal for you, are you? ..you do hear some stories...

6:38 pm  
Blogger Señor Tronosco said...

Yep I did get a bit worried when they said that! No disrespect to the A&E staff but I guess if your leg is not hanging off and you don't have a heart problem then it's a bit of a mystery to them! In fairness it was a busy night and I did get help eventually.

6:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home