mucho-danger

Sunday, September 24, 2006

...and now I own a pair of Pyjamas and Slippers!

Here is my concluding post-mortem report.

Read part 1 here...I got my ass down A&E rapido!

What was the diagnosis? A suspected perforated stomach ulcer with peritonitis! It felt so bad. Went for surgery at midnight on Wednesday 6th. Basically this was an exploratory. I had a camera put inside me through my belly button and other incisions for a look around. There was evidence of some fatty deposits and bile around my stomach and gall bladder area. This appeared to indicate some evidence of healing of a hole in my stomach or gall bladder. They also had a look at my appendix, all was ok. My body cavity was washed out with 3litres of saline and a drain tube was inserted. I awoke to find a tube down my nose and throat and a tube sticking out of my tummy with two bags filled with nasty looking fluids. I felt knackered, sore and couldn’t walk. My arms were like pin cushions. I spent the next few days in a bit of a daze being fed intravenous fluids, paracetamol, morphine, antibiotics and morphine…nice! I'm guessing this was to allow my stomach to heal and to clear it of any nasty bacteria and acids. I was then transferred to a ward for the weekend and gradually got some strength back. The next week I managed to get up and about which was difficult with intravenous drips in each arm. I really let myself go amigos, blood stained gown over grandad pyjamas and slippers. I was starting to look like a shipwreck survivor, I had a full beard and someone said my hair was growing into a mullet. It’s surprising how we take simple things for granted. Getting out of bed was an effort, getting to the bathroom and washing was an expedition. I started eating again a week after being admitted and since then have been building myself up with the aid of simple food and Muller Rice! I am still surprised about how weak I felt then and I’m not 100% yet but feel much better. I’d like to thank all those who sent me their wishes and came to visit me. The whole thing has been a bit of a blur to me and it's sure been an experience...

The negative points;
Anything associated with needles, those drip stands on wheels, p*e bottles, vomit, patient toilets, surgical stockings, tubes stuck where they shouldn't be, both arms look like pin-cushions, i'm a little bit lighter. I can't drink any beer yet. I don’t smoke. I now own a pair of pyjamas and slippers!

The positive points;
The morphine. The morphine. The morphine. Giving up smoking? Time off work.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

You poor thing, what caused it? Do you actually have stiches in your stomach?..sorry don't mean to sound too gruesome.

What it that thing? (the picture)

I really hope you are feeling better soon..you haven't lost the ability to be funny anyway!

8:04 pm  
Blogger Señor Tronosco said...

Sorry amigos, this post is a bit graphic.

The cause...em...probably a bit too much hard living, I answered mostly yes to the irritants! But I'm sure stomach ulcers are caused by a bacterial infection?

No stitches in my stomach thank goodness, apparently they couldn't find the hole....only my dinner outside of my stomach. The treatment was enough to heal it.

Click on the picture to find out. £25 for a 100 -bargain!

9:54 pm  
Blogger Heather said...

quite..

10:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home