mucho-danger

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Dare I say it? Much like a beautiful Senorita!

Ok it’s about time I enlightened people on my search for the perfect Tomato! “Oh no he’s really lost it now,” I hear you say. Wait a minute it’s like this, some people spot trains, collect stamps, knit tea cosies. I like to think my search for the perfect tomato is relatively normal, a bit like wine tasting minus the spitting and hangover. It all started like this. I never used to like tomatoes (c. Birth-2003); the average ones you buy in the supermarkets were foul. They have tough orange coloured shiny skin, rubber-like flesh, are practically hollow with sticky green pips. Basically this description should be for something out of a horror movie. Then way back in 2003 I spent a bit of time touring the Mediterranean and rediscovered the tomato. They were fantastico, nothing like the ones you normally find down your local high street. From that day on I decided it was my duty to the reputation of tomatoes to seek out the finest varieties and quality available in the UK.

Here is my quick, totally opinionated (loosely based on fact), 3-point beginners guide:
1. Flavour to a tomato is like character. If your tomato has been spoilt, inoculated and has a poly house, then it’s likely to taste bland. A tomato that’s had a bit of a hard life is likely to have tried harder and therefore tastes better. Remember a tomato is a fruit, the main point of this is that the tastier the tomato the more likely it is to survive i.e. reproduce.
2. Tomatoes should be firm, no saggy skin, and free from blemishes. Dare I say it? What the heck Señor, much like a beautiful Señorita!
3. Never store Tomatoes in the fridge. I keep mine in a fruit bowl so that they continue to ripen and remain in good health. Remember a tomato has grown up with fresh air and sunshine, not dark sub-zero temperatures.

If you’ve got any recommendations for your favourite variety, interesting tomato facts, recipes, then let me know.
Coming soon –My favourite tomato of 2006.

6 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

You with your tomatoes, how entertaining!

I was traumatised by "Killer Tomatoes" a few years ago, haven't been able to eat one since. See tomatoesareevil.com, for more laughter filled days. H

1:12 pm  
Blogger Señor Tronosco said...

Hola, H!
Gracias very mucho for the tomatoesareevil.com tip-off. I was initially quite upset by it's content but checked out the Polling section and my faith in championing Tomatoes was restored. It got me thinking though, Peas could be evil!

"Killer Tomatoes", the film? I saw a trailer for it once, the bit where they roll after people. Made me a bit peckish.

10:52 pm  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Hi, nice of you to visit my garden blog!
Tomatoes... mmmmm.. I like the yummy ones too.
I once tried to grow tomatoes, but seems like Ireland is too cold for them. I might try again next year, as I'm sure they have bred tomatoes by now that can withstand our weather.

2:23 pm  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

oh by the way, I just saw this blog, and thought of you!
http://www.thisgardenisillegal.com/2006/08/hannas-tomato-tastings-2006.html
This woman has grown several tomatoes, and is taste testing each one.

2:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. What kind of tomato is in that pic? It looks cool.

I am looking forward to your opinion on your tomatoes!

Salix Tree - You may want to try a Russian strain of tomatoes. They are bred to produce in cooler climates.

2:50 pm  
Blogger Señor Tronosco said...

De nada!

The picture was of some tomatoes I brought back from Spain. They were homegrown on an old Spaniards plot of land in the Almanzora valley -east of Granada in the Almeria province. It's fairly mountainous in this area. I guess he had been growing them for decades, in fairly harsh conditions! Like I said i don't grow them myself so excuse my ignorance. They were huge and near perfect for my taste. Firm, juicy and very fleshy, I stuffed them, I sliced them, I diced them, just couldn't get enough in my suitcase. I ditched the excess pants, suncream etc.

6:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home