mucho-danger

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Pretty much like those witness protection schemes...

Que Pasa!
Something has been troubling me this past week, so as ever I will share it with mi amigos. A problemo shared is a problemo halved.

There are some things we all take for granted and its true to say that everyone has their own worries and problems. I myself worry about my total lack of organisation and my fear of dogs and wasps. My latest worry is that I seem to be shedding more hair than I can possibly grow. In my advancing years I still have not undergone any thinning or balding. But my basic mathematics tells me that the loss of one hair strand takes months to regrow. At this rate I calculate that I could be bald by mid January. Unfortunately the coldest time of the year going into February. I will keep you posted.

I have known one man in my time that has worn a Wig. Now don't get me wrong i'm not knocking anyone who is bald. There is of course medical reasons for baldness all of which must be horribly distressing.

Anyway i'm talking about the older man who is bald and chooses to cover this with a wig. My main point of confusion is, when do you decide to do 'the switch'? For example, i'm balding/bald one day, next day i've got a full-on mullet wig. I don't understand the etiquette. Surely the point of the wig is to pretend and to fool people into thinking its your own. So if I turn up to work or a social gathering then people will know i'm wearing a wig. Therefore the only way to maintain the illusion is to change your house, work, social group and notify your family. Pretty much like those witness protection schemes where they give you a new identity.

Now this is where I was thinking about other peoples worries. If you're a wig wearer and you've been through this inital identity change. Then what happens if you need to buy a new wig, do you stick with the same style? What if the wig manufacturer has gone bust? Do you choose one that closely matches? Please don't tell me you have to change jobs, house, work and friends again?

7 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

It is very interesting, what you say. (and by the way, please don't go down the wig-wearing route - be bold, and shave it all off, if anything. Think Telly Savalas. Think Bruce Willis. You couldn't get more macho.)

I used to work with a colleague who wore wigs - and I mean different wigs every week, one week short, straight, red hair, the next long, curly and blonde. And she used to refer to her hair as if it was her own. The funny thing is that nobody ever ever commented on it. Turns out it's quite hard to say too someone directly 'I see you're wearing a different wig today.'

8:29 am  
Blogger Señor Tronosco said...

I am managing to keep my hair on at present but will be purchasing a vest and a crate of Chupa Chups -just in case.

Yep it is interesting and probably says more about myself than the wig wearer...
In the case of your colleague though surely people must have commented? Something like 'I like the long hair today'. Maybe its different for a woman, i'm sure more of a reaction would be made if she had remained bald?

Am I a sexist-wigist, I'm worried?

10:09 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Ah! Now 'wig spotting' is a speciality of mine.
My friends always consult me if a person's torsorial status is doubted.
I have known brave men, who after wearing a dark brown wig for over 20years went cold turkey and turned up for work on Monday morning with a totally bald pate.
Now that deserves a medal.

10:51 pm  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

I too knew a woman who wore different wigs all the time, in between wearing her own hair in different styles. It got to the point where no-one knew which was a wig and which was her own hair. She treated wigs as another piece of clothing to be worn, for fun.

6:52 pm  
Blogger Heather said...

Hola ST - i don't know anyone that wears a wig sorry. Crazy ties, do they count?

9:55 pm  
Blogger Rog said...

Obviously you need to buy a slightly longer wig every fortnight for a convincing display.

You could overcome your fear of dogs at the same time by sticking a Yorkshire Terrier on your head. Worked for Elton.

1:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very hard to deal with the transition to work and social situations. I had a good experience with a partial hairpiece, but I am worried about going to a full wig. I think about coming straight out and telling people, because I hate feeling fake taking these compliments on how great my hair looks.

3:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home