mucho-danger

Sunday, July 30, 2006

More Battenburg, Vicar?

It was my Mum's Birthday today so went round to catch up, with a present and bunch of flowers....some stories, mild hangover, tea drinking legs and an empty stomach. Anyway, a Sunday afternoon always involves an un-naturally large amount of tea drinking with cake.
Today's offering was Battenburg cake. You either love it or hate it, personally I like it but the sugar rush is beginning to kick in and I have a mild fear for my health tonight.

Have you really looked at a slice of it though. Maaan, it's ingenious, who invented that! Can you imagine someone sitting down and thinking, yeah a chequered pattern, two colours, bonded with jam and a marzipan coating? I salute them! If i get this right, you need to cook two loaf shaped sponge cakes, one pink, the other yellow then cut them into perfectly square cuboids then stick them together with jam. Then finally wrap the whole thing in marzipan, leaving the ends exposed so people can marvel at your handy work. You must need the patience of a Saint. I tell you it's goddamn edible art, that's what it is!

I'm trying to think of another cake masterpiece but just can't think of one to match it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home